Battleship Vieques: Puerto Rico from World War II to the Korean War
$24.95 (as of December 14, 2017, 7:41 AM) & FREE Shipping. Details
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your credit card will not be charged until we ship the item.
Battleship Vieques details the establishment of the U.S. Navy in Vieques, Puerto Rico, from the beginning of World War II to the U.S. war in Korea. It examines the transformation of local society and economy in Vieques under the impact of the acquisition by the navy of roughly two thirds of the land of the island. The land grab by the navy was followed by the relocation of the population to the central part of Vieques, by considerable disruption of the local economy, and by the disconnection of Vieques from the main thrust of the historical changes then taking place in the island Puerto Rico. Ironically, this took place in the context of the wave of decolonization sweeping Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean after World War II. The effects of the naval presence were felt long after the Navy exited Vieques in 2003, social upheaval, economic distortions and long-term health related sickness being some of these.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Amazon Customer Reviews
- San Juan, Puerto Rico - Rican Camiseta T-shirt $19.99 (as of December 14, 2017, 7:47 AM)
- San Juan Puerto Rico T-shirt Beach Vacation Gift Unisex $17.95 (as of December 14, 2017, 7:47 AM)
- Smash Vintage Women's Puerto Rico 787 Long Sleeve T-shirt
- Have No Fear The Puerto Rican Is Here Puerto Rico Pride Funny T-Shirt $19.95 (as of December 14, 2017, 7:45 AM)
- Puerto Rico Boxing Shirt, Puerto Rico Pride - Wicked Metal $19.99 (as of December 14, 2017, 7:45 AM)