I want to talk to you about Puerto Rican Food Recipes. A subject near and dear to my heart. Growing up my mom and my grandmother provided us with the daily food my family ate. Sometimes when you are accustomed to something you take it for granted. However, the first time I spent an extended time away from Puerto Rico I realized my home cooking was special.
If you are in a Puerto Rican restaurant or visiting Puerto Rico be sure to try some of these dishes:
1. Asopao de Pollo — A hearty chicken soup with rice. There are other variations like the one with shrimp or pigeon peas but for my money, the chicken is the one.
2. Mofongo relleno de camarones — This is a Meshed plantain dish that is usually a side dish but if you find the one stuffed with shrimp or seafood count yourself a lucky person.
3. Arroz con Pollo — Rice and chicken a Puerto Rican food recipe classic.
4. Carne Frita — Fried pork chunks. If you find a place that also adds some wilted onion on top this is a great find.
5. Chicharrones de Pollo — Deep fried chicken chunks, a tasty treat that can be eaten on its own as an appetizer or with rice and beans as a meal.
6. Pescado entero al Mojo Isleño — Whole fish with a tomato onion sauce. If you are in a coastal town in Puerto Rico and they have this on the menu you will be very happy you know about this great dish.
7. Tembleque — This is a treat it is like a light coconut custard that shakes like Jell-O. Hence the name tembleque, which can be loosely translated as jiggling.
8. Arroz con Dulce — Candied rice, another treat very common around Christmas but sometimes available the rest f the year.
So the next time you are in a Puerto Rican restaurant or home and you have the chance to taste any of these great Puerto Rican food recipes count yourself lucky and enjoy the meal.