sanjuan_municipio_coa_n10664San Juan, from San Juan Bautista “Saint John the Baptist “) is the capital and largest municipality in Puerto Rico. San Juan was founded by Spanish colonists in 1521, who called it Ciudad de Puerto Rico (“Rich Port City”). Several historical buildings are located in San Juan; among the most notable are the city’s former defensive forts, Fort San Felipe del Morro and Fort San Cristobál, and La Fortaleza, the oldest executive mansion in continuous use in the Americas.).

Today, San Juan serves as one of Puerto Rico’s most important seaports, and is the island’s manufacturing, financial, cultural, and tourism center.  Originally, the city of San Juan was called Puerto Rico meaning “rich port”, and the entire island was called San Juan. The capital and the island’s names were later accidentally switched.

San Juan is subdivided into 18 districts, 16 of which fall within the former (until 1951) municipio of Río Piedras. Eight districts are further subdivided in to sectors, including both districts of the former municipio of San Juan.

 

Subdivisions of San Juan, Puerto Rico

   
CaimitoHato Rey SurSabana Llana Norte
CupeyMonacilloSabana Llana Sur
El CincoMonacillo UrbanoSan Juan Antiguo
(Old San Juan)
Gobernador PiñeroOrienteSanturce
Hato Rey CentralPuebloTortugo
Hato Rey NorteQuebrada ArenasUniversidad